Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Time to Catch you guys up

March 26th 2008
My first flight of my crazy journey to India went really well, I slept the whole way to Dullus, on a virtually empty plane. The next flight however was jam packed, and there were babies everywhere! I slept as much as I could but the near constant crying of babies during the turbulence was a little frustrating. We were flying a boeing 747, but a really out of date one, the tv above the aisle flickered while I tried to watch National Treasure book of secrets (not as good as the first). During the flight, straight out of a movie, the captain calls for a doctor! There was a Doctor on board and I assume he sorted out the problem. Then near the end of the flight another person had a medical emergency. The Doctor attended to the man and laid him down at the front of a bulkhead and the doctor sat with him. He looked really unhappy and the doctor mentioned that his blood pressure was really low. The doctor stayed with him until the very last second when an attendant rushed over and said “we’re landing now” he hurried to a jump seat and we landed before he got his seatbelt on. When we got to Frankfurt it was snowing and really chilly. Paramedics were waiting and came onto the plane to assist the man. After some commotion we finally got off the plane. Now it’s a 5-hour wait for my next flight to Mumbai

March 27th 2008
Flight to Mumbai was pretty empty; I had three seats to myself. I slept a lot on this flight considering I was arriving 1:30 am local time. For the in flight meal I had vegetarian korma which was quite tasty. I managed to watch most of Enchanted on this flight, which is a ridiculous movie, I missed the ending but something tells me I didn’t miss much. Getting through the airport was not an issue, I was ushered where I needed to go and I checked in for my last leg. My flight to Nagpur didn’t leave till 7:30 so I had a big wait. The seats at Mumbai domestic terminal were really uncomfortable and I couldn’t get any sleep. I just read my book and took walks around the terminal to stretch out my legs. I watched the same news stories 10 times over in the hopes that something new would happen. I couldn’t understand the language but it’s news, you get the gist of it, a boy fell down a well, India was struggling against South Africa in Cricket. Posted around the airport was the occasional guard with a FAL riffle keeping the peace? I’m not sure how they organize things at the Mumbai airport and for the life of me I cant figure out how things get done. Even the bus driver taking me from the international to domestic kept driving on the wrong side of the road in a sort of really unfunny game of chicken. There are posters for Dubai everywhere in the airport. I’m guessing a huge amount of Indian workers head there to work and return regularly.

So let me figure this out I left at 13:00 on March 25, and arriving 8:30 on March 27th. WOW I lost a whole day. I’ve been traveling for 30 hours, I stink and I’m tired and I’m still not there.

What is with the whole paying for Internet thing, DUMB. Free wifi for all

March 27th 2008
Last flight was easy just an hour long, did some reading. There was a military dignitary on the plane and all of first class was reserved for three people. Disembarked the plane and headed for construction which was the airport, my bag was pretty much first out so I grabbed it and headed for the door. I walked out into the hot hot heat of the day right into a taxi War. Men are pushing a shoving to get to people first. I fended of some and told people that someone was picking me up. I waited a little while and then I called Vishwas the only number in my Indian cell phone that my father gave me. Vishwas is a really nice guy who lives up in the north of India working with orphanages. I asked Vishwas for Sagi Lukos’s number, my contact here in Nagpur and I then called Sagi. Sagi apologized for making me wait and he sent Sam Abraham to pick me up. Apparently there was some confusion on when I was arriving, but everything worked out, I wasn’t worried at all. Sam, who picked me up, is a really kind and compassionate man, he knows my parents from their trips to India and Sam has even stayed on the Farm with my parents when he visited America. We talked of Alabama and my parents and my journey as we drove through the city to Reggie and Helen’s house, Sagi’s brother. On the drive over there was so much going on, I took in so much and I don’t want to sound like a goober but I love that there are so many bicycles all over the streets, all of them are single speed. Everything in the city seems to be under construction just like the airport. On the streets there is so much honking; apparently you can do anything on the road as long as you honk your horn! They have roundabouts here, which make sense since England established the road system. The only difference is with no traffic laws roundabouts turn into death traps. I saw my first cow on the road in the other lane, the cow was walking in traffic and everyone was avoiding it and a big traffic jam insured. We arrived at Reggies at 10:00 and Sam introduced me to Helen and the family and then left to make travel plans for the next day. I took a quick shower and changed out of my smelly travel clothes. A shower was well received and then breakfast was served. Helen made me a really tasty omelet, and some hot tea with lots and lots of sugar in it! All tea in India has immense amounts of sugar in it. After breakfast I met Helens son who is a great little energetic boy. After pleasantries I went up stairs to take a well-needed nap. A pillow and a flat surface to sleep on were glorious, I fell asleep instantly and before I knew it, it was already 14:00. I had some crazy dreams; my Doc said that would probably happen with my malaria tablets. Helens mother woke me up for some lunch, which was really good. I had some fried flat bread with a potato relish, rice and a chicken dish that was not spicy just really flavorful. I washed it all down with a banana and returned upstairs to pack up my stuff. It’s really hot here and it’s only going to get hotter I’m told. Sam sent word that we might be catching a train in the late afternoon so I was ready to go. I left some things in a closet since I was coming back in 3 days time. No point carrying everything. I thought I was leaving but 4 o’clock rolled around. Helen then informs me that I will be leaving in the morning instead. Around the house there are some great-framed pictures on the wall saying, “Sickness is Gods messenger to chill us to meet with God” and another “Prayer is the language of a man burdened with a sense of need.”

My arms are less sore today (three vaccines in the arms on the day I left) but my whole body is tired of traveling for so long. I’m trying not to think about the fact that it is 4 in the morning, Alabama time. 10 hours behind I think. More observations, ladies ride sidesaddle on motorcycles carrying things even babies! If you want to make a turn you just have to do it, no one is going to let you in. Lanes are marked on the road but everyone ignores them. It’s just like NYC but 10 times crazier and I’m not even in a major city.

I’m going to miss LOST, I’ll just have to watch it online when I get some free time and can find the Internet! I wonder if they get FOX out here! haha

I’m reminded to only drink boiled water or bottled water that is sealed.

Forgot tri-pod oops

Dad gave me a phone that doesn’t work so I fixed it with help from my new friend Dev that I met at the India mission offices. I visited dev’s place, then he drove me back to Helens on his motorcycle; I slept til 9 then ate some food and went back to bed. Up at 3, on train at 4 urgh! Traveling just doesn’t end, and I can’t sleep.

No comments: