Thursday, March 27, 2008

Lots to tell no time to tell it

I made it to India! It is amazing here, but it is none stop! I'm typing this at a train station waiting to catch a train at 4 in the morning! I have so much to tell and no time. The people I have met have been nothing but nice. I've had some tasty food and even riden a motorcycle around town. Some observations : There are no traffic laws, you can do anything as long as you honk your horn. I saw my first cow on the way from the airport hanging out in the middle of the road, everyone was avoiding it. I saw a wild baboon and dog fighting. They have roundabouts, which with no traffic laws turns into a huge death trap! I'm excited to ride the train, I should be able to get some great shots of people. Well my train is late so I have a little more time.

The flights went well, but 30 hours of travel will kill you. I tried to sleep for most of it. More about my flights later on.

I was picked up from the airport by a man named Sam Abraham, a really nice guy who knows my dad. He took me to a guest house (Reggie and Helens) to freshen up. Helen made me a tasty omlet and then I took a long nap. Then I ate my first proper Indian meal in India! Fried flat bread with potato relish, rice and some really flavorful chicken. I then went to meet the people at the mission office. After introductions and long talks I find out that I'm to get on a train at 4 in the morning, so I went back to the guest house to sleep. I got up at 3 in the morning and here I am at the train station. My body clock is all messed up. I've got some great pictures I'll post next time.

Still havent riden an elephant but it'll happen

Mucho love Mark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU on motorcycle! Me on cooking, aka burning the house down.... Fried bread! So beautiful. Washing in the river with the people who are not alive? Have tea on the train, and maybe some smokes? Atlanta is sunny sunny.

Seth said...

sounds amazing