Wednesday, April 2, 2008

What I'm actually doing here

I'm here in India working as a photographer for a mission organization. I was contacted by the president of RIMI ,which is reach india missions international, and asked to go to India to take promotional shots of all the places they have a hand. Like orphanages, seminaries, hospitals, churches and the like. I'm updating all the childrens photos and staff family photogs and new construction and things like that. The organization gets a lot of funding from America and they like to keep the sponsors updated on everything.

On Monday when I got home from Waranga I met up with Sagi the president of RIMI and we went into town to buy me a kurta. A kurta is a traditional Indian shirt that goes down nearly to your knees. Everyone wears them here. Sagi wants me to travel in it when I go off on my journey. While in town we also stopped at Sagi's favorite juice bar and got pomegranate juice. They make it in front of you; they use a hardcore blender and crush up just pomegranate seeds until you have a cup of juice. It was sooooo good! Next we walked around town visiting shops and being harassed by little kids trying to sell me toy helicopters. I stuck out like a sore thumb wondering around the streets.

Tues. April 1, 2008
Today I had a meeting with Sagi and we discussed my plans for the next three weeks. I've already told you about it earlier. For the rest of the day I just relaxed and took my ease back at the guesthouse.

Wednesday april 2, 2008
This morning Sagi left to go back to Chicago and I moved to the Mission India Theological seminary out in the boondocks. I was shown my new room for the next few days and it is realy an apartment. It even has an AC unit and a shower, but b/c we are in the boondocks the government cuts the power for a couple hours at a time to save energy for industry. The shower is not hot but at least the water falls from above on its own. I was given a tour of the facility by the campus Liberian, they have 40 acres and a bunch of buildings. They have a dining hall that can seat 800 and a orphanage with 96 kids. It was sooooo damn hot and really dusty, the campus is right next to about 3 rock quarries and the air is just filled with dust. I went for a long walk around the campus to shoot pictures of building and I got a wicked headache so I took a long break and played some chess with a few people and dominated of course. Then I spent the rest of the day playing with the kids at the orphanage.


Thursday 3rd april
Well I've got 96 orphans to photograph today, it hurts my heart to see so many kids here at this orphanage in Nagpur.They sleep about 8 to a room in bunks on really hard beds. They have just a bit of foam sometimes nothings on a plywood base. There are kids here all the way up to high school level and most of them speak English. I'm trying to learn a bit of hindi but I'm having a hard time. I got down a few phrases and words, like food, water, eat, drink, come here, stop, just me (the kids one pictures of just them). At the seminary I'm staying at all the students have gone home for summer holiday and so they rent out the dorms and conference halls for big meetings and company conferences. Yesterday I ate lunch with a Doctor of a local hospital, he spent time in England studying and was very well spoken. Some of the Indian people here are surprised at how much I know about Indian cuisine, which is funny. But some of that Indian food kills my stomach, I have to pop a few peptos after eating.

While I'm writing this I'm helping a college kid apply to a seminary in America. Southeastern seminary, something like that.

oooh and I saw the biggest bee hive I've ever seen I'll show you a picture soon, but I'm at an internet cafe and I cant use my puter.

Maleria pills make you have crazy dreams !

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this kind of breaks my heart about all those children.

Anonymous said...

p.s. thursday is already happening for you and it's wed night here....crazzzzzzzy.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, thanks I was a little confused about what you were trying to get done while you are over there. Have fun.